First graders sure kept busy this week! In phonics we learned to make multisyllabic words like upset, napkin, and cobweb. We will continue this unit after vacation. In math, we started Topic 12, Length. In writing, we continued our unit on poetry. We completed our rainbow concrete poems. Pictures of the published pieces are below. Students also learned to write a list poem using the app Theme Poem by the International Reading Association. The icon for the app is below if you'd like to get it at home. You may also use their website to make poems by clicking the link below.
Theme Poem App
Theme Poem Website: http://www.readwritethink.org/files/resources/interactives/theme_poems/
Over vacation, you may challenge your first grade to write some poetry! Here are the types we learned:
- Cinquain (Name, 2 adjectives, 3 -ing verbs, 4 word phrase, Name)
- Acrostic (First line starts with a letter of the topic)
- Concrete (A poem in the shape of the topic)
- Pyramid (Add a word to each line)
- Listing (A list of words about the topic)
After vacation we will wrap up our unit on poetry by learning one last type of poem-- Haiku!
Have a great vacation!